About Our Blog

Hi Everyone!

As most of you know, my classmate Kate and I will be sailing aboard the Maersk Peary to Antarctica this winter. We are both very excited for our trip and cannot wait to see what this adventure has in store for us. We will try to update this blog as much as possible, so check back and see what's new. Hopefully, we'll have some pictures of penguins eventually!

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Take Two

Today we returned to St. Theodore.  Evidently once was not enough for the Peary, but who can blame her?  What is better than a Med-side oil refinery?

In light of the docking, our workday was short.  TJ and I spent it assisting with mooring.

Around 12:15, we disembarked and began a journey into Greece.  Our first celebrated location?  A café across the street.  Four two hours, we greedily mooched off the shop’s Wi-Fi.  Correction: TJ greedily mooched.  I bought tea, so I’m good.  Brackins, I leave it to you to scold Thomas thoroughly.

To all business entrepreneurs, I highly recommend opening an Internet café directly beside a sea terminal.  I am convinced that in the course of one day, the café made patrons of every crewmember aboard the Peary.  The ambitious shop did not stop at human patrons however.  As TJ and I quickly found, it also opened its doors to members of the feline race.


This led to an interesting discovery: TJ may or may not be a feline-attractant.  Shortly after we entered the café, a particularly playful cat stationed herself beneath TJ.  For two hours, TJ’s dangling coat was thoroughly groped and his heart thoroughly warmed.

TJ and I next traveled to Corinth in the company of Maersk Peary’s Navy brigade.  With the team, we explored the city’s streets.  As it turns out, Navy brigades make delightful company.  I cannot count the number of times they made us smile.

For those who have never been to Greece, I now give a couple of observations.  First, there are stray dogs everywhere in Greece.  Moreover, I am fairly confident they have all been struck with a severe case of apathy.  Second, proper Grecian parking definitely requires one straddle both the street and the sidewalk.

Without doubt, the highlight of our day was bowling with our newfound military friends.  Our two games consisted of fierce competition, multiple mechanical breakdowns, and endless comedy.  It seems I am not a talented bowler.  Between chucking a bowling ball backwards into a charming young man and taking a granny shot directly into the gutter, I believe I have indelibly fixed myself in the minds of twelve Navy men.
For me, the day ended with a Peary-bound walk behind two KP cadets and a first engineer together carting pounds of baklava.  If my days as cadet have taught me anything, they have taught me this: the quickest way to an engineer’s heart is with baklava.



No comments:

Post a Comment