About Our Blog

Hi Everyone!

As most of you know, my classmate Kate and I will be sailing aboard the Maersk Peary to Antarctica this winter. We are both very excited for our trip and cannot wait to see what this adventure has in store for us. We will try to update this blog as much as possible, so check back and see what's new. Hopefully, we'll have some pictures of penguins eventually!

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

All in a Day's Catch

It seems that fishing is to be a theme aboard the Peary.  Yesterday, our baby was diagnosed with insufficient jacket-water cooling.  Today, we engineers turned an eye to our prime suspect: the big boys on ship, the sea strainers.

Between the shipyard and my week at sea, I have come to following conclusion: with enthusiasm and chain falls, one can move the earth.  Onboard, the two come as a package deal, and believe me when I say: there is no shortage.  Thus, using chain falls, TJ and I helped our giddy coworkers raise the first of two sea strainers.

From the moment we broke the strainer’s seal, we knew the project would be a fun one.  Immediately, the potent scent of brine and fish swept the engine room, and I mean the engine room.  For the entirety of the day, one could not escape the odor. 

Sure enough, we soon faced a submerged strainer topped with a layer of floating piscine bodies.  For all strainer virgins, this is the moment at which one retrieves a used dinner plate.  For the remainder of the project, it is of paramount importance that you collect a plateful of fish to offer at your 1000 coffee break….or so TJ and I observed.
    
To see a sea strainer sitting in its grimy state on the engine room floor is something.  To see its catch is something more.  Ours consisted of bait fish several inches deep, a number of irate crabs, countless small, nondescript, squirming masses, an assortment of plastic, and a single twig.

Immediately, we got to work cleaning.  TJ was appointed scooper; I was appointed brusher.  If only I could describe the glamour of TJ’s job.  Picture a young man with a set face kneeling before a strainer.  Repeatedly, he drives a dustpan into the strainer, removing piles of sea remnants.  On both sides, cadets brush sea grime directly into his face.  For the record, I only realized this after the fact.  TJ bore the sea spray remarkably well.  Of course, had he borne it less well, he might have walked away with a cleaner face.  Personally, I prefer stoicism to cleanliness though.

TJ was graciously offered the chance to lick the strainer.  Apparently strainer-licking is a right of passage.  I am sorry to say that TJ refused the offer.  I was wholly prepared to place tongue to metal. Alas, my invitation never came.

In the afternoon, both TJ and I returned to the world of welding.  I cannot speak for TJ, but for me, it was a most wonderful reunion.  Within minutes, I was again boasting a blackened face.  It was the face of my shipyard days, and oh, how I had missed that face.  Nothing makes for a better day than a bodily layer of sea grime topped with soot.

No comments:

Post a Comment