About Our Blog

Hi Everyone!

As most of you know, my classmate Kate and I will be sailing aboard the Maersk Peary to Antarctica this winter. We are both very excited for our trip and cannot wait to see what this adventure has in store for us. We will try to update this blog as much as possible, so check back and see what's new. Hopefully, we'll have some pictures of penguins eventually!

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Headed Home

Well, I write this post from a hotel room in Ulsan, South Korea. By this time tomorrow I will be back in the United States. Kate and I disembarked from the Maersk Peary for the final time yesterday. While I am very excited to get home and see my family again, it was certainly a bittersweet experience. The ship arrived in Onsan yesterday morning, and Kate and I left the ship at 4:30PM. We had to take a launch into Ulsan, which required that our luggage be lowered over the side on a line and we climb down a pilot ladder. As you can imagine, that was a bit of an exciting experience. When we arrived in Ulsan, we had to wait for a while to get through Customs. Then of course, I had to unpack both of my bags so they could be searched. From there, we had to go to the immigration office, and then we got to our hotel. We basically dropped our bags and got in a taxi to get back into the center of town to meet up with everyone from the ship. Part of this experience of course included some Korean food, which was much more interesting than any of us expected.



In case the photo doesn't show up well, those are indeed seashells on our plate. Also not pictured are the octopus and cuttlefish that made up the rest of the dish. Well, it was not long after we ate that it came time for everyone to head back to the ship. I must say that I did not realize how difficult goodbye would be. I did not really believe them when they said that this crew would become like a second family during the trip, but it is absolutely true. I know I speak for Kate and myself when I say that we have enjoyed every minute of our time aboard the Maersk Peary. The entire crew went out of their way to make us feel welcome and feel like a part of the crew.  This trip has been a once in a lifetime experience, and I know that I have made some great new friends along the way. I just want to say thank you to everyone at Webb and at Maersk Line, Limited for making this trip possible. I especially want to thank the crew of the ship and specifically the engine department for everything they've done and everything they've taught us over the past two months. Well, I'll just finish up there because I know Kate has her own final post to write. Time to get ready to head to the airport!

1 comment:

  1. Arrived in Ulsan, get through custom and go to the immigration – It's good that you had a smooth trip, and then delicious food afterwards. What a sweet treat! This is one good thing about visiting abroad, you’ll able to explore their wonderful places and have a taste of their delicious delicacies. Just don’t encounter any problem with customs and immigration, everything will turn out great.

    Joseph

    ReplyDelete