About Our Blog

Hi Everyone!

As most of you know, my classmate Kate and I will be sailing aboard the Maersk Peary to Antarctica this winter. We are both very excited for our trip and cannot wait to see what this adventure has in store for us. We will try to update this blog as much as possible, so check back and see what's new. Hopefully, we'll have some pictures of penguins eventually!

Friday, December 27, 2013

A Day of Baths

TJ and I awoke today with a sense of great anticipation.  At 0615, our excitement peaked, for at 0615, we began deconstructing an Alfa Laval purifier.  Several hours later, we had a purifier bowl sitting in parts before us. 

Our work was interrupted at 1020 by a series of emergency drills.  TJ and I were placed on deck behind one of several fire monitors during the day’s fire drill.  If I had been meteorologically-minded, I might have changed my position.  Then again, probably not.  Within minutes of starting the fire pump, those standing starboard of the monitor were soaked.  I was among them.  Some of this was the result of a strong wind; I am convinced most was due to mischievous monitor-operators though.

Following the deck dousing, TJ and I partook in a zero visibility drill.  While I fed the two a life rope, TJ and Kyle crawled blindly into a room to rescue the hospital's mannequin.  In an attempt to grasp Kyle's ankle and thus remain in contact, TJ definitely groped a butt.

The day was not content with its earlier saltwater deluge.  Shortly after the fire drill, it brought TJ and I an oil bath.  Armed with Scotch Brite pads, rags, and diesel oil (apparently a cleaning medium), we attacked our purifier parts.  Based on his white arms and pained expression, TJ did not enjoy the process nearly as much as I did.  Then again, he did get stuck with the stack of fifty plus identical discs.  Identical parts and cleaning never mix well.


I have decided on another mismatched pair: my arms and soap.  Dad, I know well your opposition to bodily markings.  Unfortunately, there is a good probability I will return home with grease/oil-stained arms.  Think of it as a segue to the inevitable tattoo.  You’re welcome.

1 comment:

  1. TJ, groping butts is not acceptable. Kate, I expect you to whip him into shape

    ReplyDelete