About Our Blog

Hi Everyone!

As most of you know, my classmate Kate and I will be sailing aboard the Maersk Peary to Antarctica this winter. We are both very excited for our trip and cannot wait to see what this adventure has in store for us. We will try to update this blog as much as possible, so check back and see what's new. Hopefully, we'll have some pictures of penguins eventually!

Monday, December 16, 2013

First Impressions

Today marked our first complete workday.  What is my current state?  Physically exhausted.  Despite popular belief, physical exhaustion is a beautiful thing.  There is something profoundly satisfying about working one’s body for hours on end.  I have been a stranger to such work for far too long.

I must say: TJ and I made outstanding first impressions.  Within minutes of beginning morning readings/soundings, we successfully guillotined a sounding tape, sending its dense, brass plumb bomb and twenty centimeters of tape into a hydraulic oil tank 173 cm in depth.  It seems bent wire is not a foolproof method of holding open a sounding tube.  A note to future cadets: when your first casually mentions you can retrieve brass tank contaminants using a brass magnet, do not take his word.  In retrospect, I knew this.

Following our noon meal, TJ and I served as kitchen slaves along with a navy brigade of twelve sprightly young adults.  We quickly learned several things.  One: nineteen palates of food is a lot of food.  Two: loading nineteen palates of food is a great team building activity.  (It is a quite a sight to see a train of muscular, camouflaged men and two green cadets collectively hauling food to a vessel’s kitchen.)  Lastly, one can always use more freezer space.

We ended the day as observers.  Per the captain’s suggestion, we braved the cool night air at 21:00 to witness weighing anchor.  At 23:30, we watched as deck hands dropped anchor outside Piraeus.  I will be blunt: weighing anchor, while interesting, is not particularly thrilling.  Dropping anchor, however, is a different story.  I cannot describe what it is to sense a bow rumbling beneath your feet, what it is to see and taste a cloud of rising rust, what it is to see sparks fly where a plummeting anchor chain brushes a hull.  I can only say this: I walk away from today with a newfound appreciation for the beautiful giant on which I stand.


No comments:

Post a Comment