About Our Blog

Hi Everyone!

As most of you know, my classmate Kate and I will be sailing aboard the Maersk Peary to Antarctica this winter. We are both very excited for our trip and cannot wait to see what this adventure has in store for us. We will try to update this blog as much as possible, so check back and see what's new. Hopefully, we'll have some pictures of penguins eventually!

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Sounds on Sounds on Sounds

Today was an eventful day.  It began as our days typically do, with a morning round of readings and soundings.  Returning from rounds, however, TJ and I were greeted by something new: two meters of freshly twisted wire.  It was time to go fishing.   Our game?  Brass plumb bobs.

After contemplating hook configurations, TJ and I went to face our oil tank.  Several tries and hook configurations later, I held my breath as TJ signaled a weight on his line.  When at last we saw the bronze breach the surface, TJ and I felt an elation only known to the big-time gamer.   Never have my hands moved as quickly as when they fetched from my pocket a pair of pliers to secure our catch.  Mothers and fathers, never fear.  Pictures are coming…just as soon as TJ and I manage an iconic fishing pose with a plumb bob.

At 1530, TJ and I entered the big leagues.  Under our watchful eyes (and a few others), the Maersk Peary took on 1810 metric tons of MGO.  Our level of enthusiasm was high.  Seven hours later, it had dwindled a bit, primarily in the face of exhaustion and restlessness.  As it turns out, bunkering is not particularly stimulating.  All too quickly, the novelty of soundings at fifteen-minute intervals and simmering health concerns regarding continued inhalation of fumes lost their impact.

In the interest of raising subdued spirits, supervisors pinned TJ and I in a fierce competition.  Our opponent?  A bright KP cadet by the name of Kyle.  Let’s call him Ryan though.  According to my mind, he is apparently more of a Ryan.  The challenge?  Fill two onboard tanks as close to ninety percent capacity as possible.  Webb, I regretfully confess: we failed you.  In spite of all our accuracy, Kyle, AKA Ryan, won the day.

It is with tired, pink-dyed bodies (the mark of indicating paste) and sad hearts that we walk from today.

No comments:

Post a Comment